Production Manager at CVPeople Tanzania
CVPeople Tanzania | Full time
Kilimanjaro, Tanzania | Posted on 07/13/2023
- Sufficient and timely planning and production (agro-processing, curing, extraction, packaging, and warehousing) of company products and management of related activities at world-class standards; by making continuous improvements to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of production operations while adhering to budget and Food Quality and Safety Management System (FQSMS) requirements
- Developing, managing, and improving the production department with a long-term vision for growth and operational excellence, including compliance with, and audits for the latest FSSC 22000, national (e.g., TBS, TMDA, OSHA, NEMC) and customer-related (e.g., organic, kosher) standards and certifications. This requires continually revising and improving the production. Operations to meet Company objectives, as may change from time to time, and applying principles from the disciplines of food safety (e.g., HACCP) and continuous improvement (e.g., Kaizen, Lean Operations).
- Developing and controlling production operations (incl. systems, processes and procedures), and in close collaboration with all relevant teams (e.g., QC, QA, Food Safety, Engineering, Supply Chain, Procurement & Logistics, etc.), ensuring that all production operations and related activities correctly follow and uphold the FQSMS, in order to effectively operate the order-to-cash (O2C) process. This requires (but is not limited to) managing the following:
- All production operations, scheduling and process control, including stock, inventory and material control/handling, enforcement of FQSMS-mandated policies and procedures (e.g., written records); product dispatch; etc.
- Timely testing, monitoring and review of raw, interim, and end products and related processes and procedures (e.g., PRPs, OPRPs, CCPs, etc).
- Timely reporting and review of identified objectives and operational production metrics, using, for example, dashboards.
- Improvements to FQSMS-related systems, processes and procedures within the production department, and supporting other departments in the same.
- Corrective actions, trials and investigations to address issues related to products, production, FQSMS, etc., and using PDCA methodology (Plan, Do, Check, Act) to monitor changes and minimize or eliminate future issues.
- Being a lead participant in the Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) Committee, and being responsible for the implementation of relevant SHEQ Committee recommendations within the production department.
- Effectively liaising with other departments as may be necessary to manage and optimize the production operations, for example, with the sales team for production forecasting and dispatch timelines; with the supply chain team for raw material supply; with procurement & logistics for materials re-supply and product dispatch; with engineering & facilities for preventive maintenance and facilities improvements; etc.
- Reporting to management on routine productivity, performance, FQSMS metrics and any other agreed indicators; raising issues in a timely manner.
- Ensuring the team’s health and safety, and that they maintain the cleanliness/hygiene of the facilities, production environment and packing materials, and related materials/equipment.
- Supporting the research and development of new, market-ready products, products variations, and production processes to further the Company’s objectives and providing an operational path to scaling from laboratory production to commercial production
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; preferably in Engineering, Agro-processing, Food Science, Manufacturing or related fields.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience managing planning & production operations, preferably in the food and agriculture industries.
- In-depth knowledge of Tanzanian & Ugandan food laws/regulations, and knowledge of EU, USA, and Japanese food laws/regulations will be an added advantage
- In-depth knowledge of FSSC 22000 certification and food safety management systems.
- Ability to translate sales forecast into a production plan, scheduling, and implement it
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to manage relationships with partners, contractors, and other functions/departments
- Excellent communication, project management, and interpersonal skills; coupled with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively; both oral and written, in English and Kiswahili.
- Excellent project management and problem-solving skills grounded in data.
- Extensive familiarity with ICT systems such as ERP, CRM and productivity packages such as Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
- Demonstrates ability to think logically, perform analysis, and synthesis.
- Self-management, and passion for working with social impact enterprises.