Grade 12 Geography Research Project 2021 Memorandum
The 2021 Geography Research Project is a mandatory assignment for all Grade 12 Geography students. It is to be completed and marked by the end of May. The purpose of the project is to give students an opportunity to research and present information on a geographic issue of their choosing.
- Research Topic: All students must select a geographic issue to research. The issue must be relevant to the Grade 12 Geography curriculum and approved by the teacher.
- Presentation medium: Once the topic is approved, the student may select a suitable medium for their presentation (e.g. essay, poster, Powerpoint presentation, website).
- Length: All submissions must be between 1500 – 2500 words in length, depending on the medium selected.
- Sources: Students are encouraged to draw upon a variety of sources, including academic journals, articles from reputable newspapers and websites, and interviews.
- Research framework for assessment (Guideline on administration of research task)
Step 1: Formulating a hypothesis/problem statement.
Guideline: Geography Grade 12 Research Tasks
Step 1: Formulating a hypothesis/problem statement. As Geographers we seek to understand and explain the interactions amongst humans, and between humans and the environment in space and time. This is achieved by asking questions or making informed geographical decisions. This entails the development of a hypothesis or a problem statement to be tested.
- You have to choose a specific area of study where a geographical problem exists.
- During this stage, a geographical question showing a problem is asked.
- Identify the problem from a local area.
- Formulate a hypothesis or a problem statement. (Hypothesis research is used to prove that certain variables are dependent on or independent of each other. Problem statement research is only to highlight that a specific problem exists in a specific community.)
- You should then follow the steps of research to ensure that the geographical question is answered.
The project will be marked out of 100 and the criteria include:
- Research: 25 marks will be allocated to the quality of the research conducted and the sources used.
- Analysis: 20 marks will be awarded based on the student’s ability to critically analyze the issue.
- Presentation: 30 marks will be awarded based on the clarity and quality of the presentation.
- Conclusion & Reflection: 25 marks will be awarded for the student’s ability to draw conclusions and reflect on the implications of their research.
- April 20th: All topics must be approved by the teacher.
- May 15th: All presentations must be submitted in digital format.
- May 29th: Presentations must be presented in front of the class.
- May 31st: Project must be marked and final grades issued.
We look forward to seeing the remarkable geographic research projects created by this year’s students. Good luck! The 2021 Grade 12 Geography Research Project is an assignment for students to produce an individual research paper on an approved topic selected from the Department of Geography Syllabus.
This memorandum is intended to provide students with an overview of the project and its requirements. The project is due on Monday, June 14th and should be completed by then.
The main requirements of the research project are as follows:
1. Each student must select a topic from the Department of Geography Syllabus.
2. The topic should be approved by the instructor before any research is done.
3. A research proposal must also be submitted to the instructor before starting the project.
4. Research should be conducted both in and out of the classroom. Research sources such as online materials and field trips should be utilized.
5. The final paper should be typed and must include a cover page, introduction, main body, and conclusion.
6. The paper should also include footnotes or endnotes throughout the paper to support any claims that are made.
7. Students must also provide a list of works cited at the end of the paper.
The goal of this project is to give students an understanding of geography and the topics discussed in class. This important project should take the student’s academic career seriously and be done thoroughly.
By abiding by the requirements outlined above and using the resources available to them, students can successfully complete the 2021 Grade 12 Geography Research Project.
This memorandum is intended to provide a clear overview of the project’s parameters and as such, any questions or concerns that come up should be brought to the instructor’s attention.
Leave a Reply